Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Gina

Last year I took a really interesting class called "Sociology of Death and Dying". The whole class focused on how people cope with death and the different things that the body goes through while dying. I enjoyed the class a great deal and it taught me a lot. I learned that the human mind is capable of a lot amazing things such as keeping cancer at a stand still or curing an illness all together. I had never met anyone with such strength until I was blessed to meet Gina.

I know that I complain about my work environment a lot but there is one aspect about working here that I really enjoy. We sell merchandise that supports breast cancer and 20% of those proceeds go to a local breast cancer support group called "The Sisters of Survivorship". A few days after the store opened I was working with my boss one evening when a women walked into the store. She was using a cane, had a hearing aid and no hair. I said my usual hello and she gave me a beautiful smile. Lois looked up from her paperwork and immediately walked to embrace the woman. They had a lengthy conversation full of tears and laughter. This woman, Gina, had been a breast cancer survivor and had recently learned that the cancer had returned and had spread to her lungs, brain and bones. Apparently, the doctors told Gina that she should've died a year ago but she held on. When I met her she had so much passion and was by far one of the strongest women I have ever had the chance to meet. She was so grateful for everything that she had and took nothing for granted. She left the store that day with a smile on her face and that smile is something that I have yet to forget.

Throughout the last few months Gina stopped in to say hello and see how her favorite Retail Therapy ladies were doing. I enjoyed seeing her each time she came into the store. One day she showed up with a picture of her hand saying "I love you" in sign language and a breast cancer ribbon next to it. She gave it to us as a gift. That day was the last day I saw her walking.

Last weekend I helped with the annual "Day of Caring" on the FHSU campus. I had helped with some of the organization and also assisted some of the models that were going to be in the fashion show. Earlier in the morning I sat at a booth and sold out breast cancer merchandise and that is were I saw Gina. She was in a wheelchair and still had that beautiful smile. She looked much weaker than she had before but she was determined to be the best model in the fashion show. Once the show was under way, she couldn't walk down the "runway" but she stood up in her wheelchair and received a thunderous applause. I like to think that she was on top of the world that day. Unfortunatly, that would be the last time that our paths would ever cross.

I was informed yesterday that Gina died late Saturday night. The cancer had decided that it was her time to leave. A part of me likes to think that she held on just so that she could be a model in the fashion show. Once the show was over she knew that it was ok to go. Her mother stopped in the store earlier today to pay for the shirt that Gina wore. I told her not to worry about paying for anything. Gina's mom gave me a sweet look and I could tell that she was holding back a few tears. She told me that up until the last moment of her life, Gina was ranting and raving aboout the girls at Retail Therapy and how she loved all of them. Her mom also said that the day of the fashion show was one of the greatest of Gina's life.

I often wonder what Gina was like before the cancer hit. She had the ability to have a huge impact on my life in the 3 months that I had known her. I only wish that I could've gotten to know her sooner. Gina is a prime example of a "good death" as my sociology teacher called it. She accepted her fate and truly began living once she was diagnosed. Her story reminds me of the book "Tuesdays with Morrie". She shared many charateristics with Morrie and both had such a passion for life. I can only hope that I would be able to cope with death as well as they did.

Losing loved ones is the hardest aspect of living. We don't know where or when it will happen. All we know is that death will indeed happen. It is days like today when I am inspired to live my life to the fullest with no regrets and cherish those around me with every passing moment. I wish there was a way to tell Gina that she had such an impact on my life but I think that she is looking down on all of us and she knows how much we cared. I'm sure she is an angel now and still has that beautiful smile spread across her face.

Rest in Peace Gina, you will be missed.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Thank you for that Laura. It brought tears to my eyes. I'm glad you had the opportunity to meet such a special lady. Your post reminds me of a verse from the Psalms:

"So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom." Psalm 90:12