Saturday, January 3, 2009

2009 will be Stella!!

Well Kittens, it's 2009 and I have a great feeling about this year. 2008 was awesome and I know, deep down that 2009 will be even better. Provided the economy starts to dig itself out of the gaping whole that it is right now. I only say this because I have been sitting at work for a good 2 hrs and have barely sold $100 worth of merchandise. I guess everyone got their fill of retail therapy during the holidays. I must say that the holidays were good to us. It has been a crazy 2 months and I am glad that it's all over. I never thought I would breathe a sigh of relief while taking down a Christmas tree but I let out a few while taking decorations down the other day. I love the holidays but I also like to see them go. The food was great but did a number on my diet. I guess that's why we have New year's resolutions, eh?

I am in much better spirits since I last blogged. I'm not sure if it's the beginning of a new year that has lightened my mood or if it's simply the fact that I've stopped worrying myself into neurosis. Regardless, I am happier...not completely happy but I have getting there slowly. I feel like the quarter life crisis is melting away like the piles of snow that accumulated on the sidewalk downtown. They are still there but are getting smaller each day and before too long they will cease to exist.

Now that business has died down a bit I am starting to focus on myself again. As I said before, I am getting back into a regular gym routine and moderating my chocolate intake. It amazes me how fantastic I feel after a good workout. I love the rush. I am also going to be in the college opera that opens on January 31st. We are performing Richard Faith's "The Little Match Stick Girl". It's a short, modern opera based on an old fairy tale about a young girl who sells matchsticks to make a living. She ends up freezing in the streets and dies of hypothermia (happy times huh) Her grandmother (yours truly) appears as a ghost who takes her up to heaven. I don't have a big role but it will be nice to be onstage again. I'm supposed to have the whole thing memorized by next Friday and I have yet to look at it. I guess I know what I'll be doing this week. I wish I didn't procrastinate as much as I do. It only causes me to worry.

I will have some time to look over the opera next week as I am driving to Colorado. I haven't been out to visit my family in the longest time so I decided that there is no time like the present. It will be good to get out of Hays for awhile and hang out with my dad. Luckily one of my sisters is going with me so I don't have to make the drive all by myself. I'm not a big fan of driving.

Let's see...I am still teaching lessons and loving every minute of it. I added a new student to my studio. He is a 16 yr old boy and needless to say, teaching him has been a learning experience. I normally teach middle school aged girls and each day I'm learning what I need to teach an older boy. I have grown as a teacher but I am still certain that I was meant to perform. I am still taking lessons as well. I haven't had one in 3 weeks but that is because of winter break. They should be starting up before too long and I'm excited. I've discovered something that I am extremely excited about and I want to discuss it with Dr. P.

I was pretty bored at work yesterday so I decided to google "Acting schools NYC". I clicked on a few links and found nothing special. I was about to close out the search when I stumbled upon an interesting website. I found a school called the "Stella Adler studio of acting". I looked around and they offer a 2.5 yr conservatory program that sounds so incredibly awesome. I can't even put into words how amazing it all sounds. The classes focus on a range of different areas dealing with the stage from intensive Shakespeare work to ballet. Everything sounds like exactly what I need to make my dreams come true. After completing the program I will have the equivilent of an MFA (masters of fine arts). The cost is decent too especially for a grad school in NYC. A lot of famous people have graduated from Stella Adler including Selma Hayek, Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro. I don't know if I will be able to make all of this happen but I am going to try my hardest. The deadline for my application is March 15. I have to send in a resume, headshots, 2 letters of recommendation, my application, an audition DVD and a $50 non-refundable application fee. Classes would start in September and I would find it really interesting if they started on my birthday. I have to discuss the topic with Dr. P and my parents but I want to make this happen. wish me luck!

well, I think that's all for now. I'm going to continue being bored at work and hope that the next 3 hrs fly by. I hope that life is treating everyone well!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

You know, since the average age of a person is approximately 75, you're about a third of the way there. So I guess technically this would be your "One-Third Life Crisis." How's that for depressing? :) It also just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?

Love you! By the way, the word I'm supposed to type for the word verification before I submit my comment is "sambene." Weird.