Monday, February 9, 2009

Healthy Heart

I feel fantastic today blueberries!

And you know what the best part is??? I have no idea why I am such a good mood but I hope that this glorious feeling continues. Well, I guess I kind of know why. Let me elaborate...

In previous entries I've written about a very interesting class I took a few years ago called "sociology of death and dying". When I first enrolled in the class I was a little hesitant because of the subject matter but it turned out to be my favorite class that I have taken at FHSU. (No-this blog entry is not all about death and such things). Anywho, during the class we watched a segment of Oprah where she had a few cancer patients talk about their survival and how they cope with the disease day to day. That was when I was first introduced to the "crazy sexy cancer" goddess known as Kris Carr. When she was diagnosed she was an aspiring actress in NYC. On Valentine's day of 2003 the doctors told her that she had stage 4 cancer of the vascular system. This is a rare type of cancer and there is no stage 5. She immediately dealved into a new lifestyle of veggies, meditation and dancing and is now comfortably living with her cancer at a standstill and some of her tumors have actually started to shrink. She made a documentary called Crazy Sexy Cancer and I bought it the other day. I was incredibly inspired by her story and even though I don't have cancer (and hope I never will) I've decided to adapt some of her daily routines.

In the documentary, she talks about how she dances to one song every morning because it puts her in a good mood. I danced to a song this morning and I probably looked terribly silly but when I got done I felt awesome. I have also started to meditate for 5 minutes a day. It's simply a practice that clears your mind and helps you focus on yourself instead of all the other things that are going on in the world. I haven't felt this much mental clarity in quite some time. I'm not a buddhist or anything. I just take some quiet time for myself each morning because if I didn't I would probably go insane.

Also (this is my favorite part) I am going to buy a juicer and a blender with my tax return and start making my own veggie vixen juices and smoothies. My body has felt really out of whack recently and I believe that it has a lot to do with what I have been putting into my body. I think I will feel much better if I start eating healthier and I can't wait to try out some new recipes I've found. I'm also going to try and cut diet pop and coffee out of my diet. We'll see if that happens though.

I feel refreshed today and I love that. I haven't felt this good since I graduated in May. Slowly, I'm coming to terms with this transistional period in my life. I will come out of this a stronger and better person.

I know I won' eat healthy all the time...this sort of thing is inevitable. In fact I know that on Valentine's day all bets are off. Along with the fruits and veggies that I bought last night, I also bought a bag of dove chocolate for myself. On Valentine's day evening when I get off of work, I plan on drinking some wine, eating some chocolate and settling down with a 3 dvd set of old horror films featuring Vincent Price and Bela Lugosi. I am actually really looking forward to this and I can't wait for Valentines day to get here. I never thought I would say that. I do want a companion but since I don't have one I will simply take that day to love myself and my love for b horror films and chocolate. I don't know how the bold function just got turned on but now I don't know how to turn it off. I guess I'll stop writing for now. Have a peaceful monday!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Smoothies rock! We got a Vita Mix a couple months ago and I love it. We've done lots of fruit smoothies but I haven't tried a veggie smoothie yet. You'll have to let me know what you make.

And by the way, wine and chocolate sound SO GOOD! Yum...I haven't had that combo in way too long. Love you!